LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: vowels

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Oct 1 20:21:48 CEST 2010

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at telia dot com> wrote:

> The examples given in the registration forms maybe will not become
> mainstream; but when "respelling" is done officially it is called
> "orthographic reform", or simply "spelling reform", and then it is
> not a "respelling" anymore. So I'd say that this variant subtag would
> not be as stable as desired.

It sounded to me as though Mark was talking strictly about the kind of
phonemic spelling you see in dictionaries that don't use IPA, not about
alternative spelling systems that have the potential to become
full-blown reforms.  Nobody seriously expects "nayshuhn" to take over as
the official spelling.  It will always be a learner's spelling, and so I
don't see much of a stability problem.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­