Reminder: Ulster Scots

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 31 19:34:37 CEST 2010

Hi -

I think the existence of two distinct orthographies (Hamely Tongue and
the one under consideration) for a distinct variety of the language
makes a strong case for using separate variant subtags to identify
the language variety and the orthography.

Consider the use cases:
  - material in the Ulster Scots dialect, regardless of orthography
    (this would also be needed for spoken material)
  - material in the Ulster Scots dialect in Hamely Tongue orthography
  - material in the Ulster Scots dialect in the "new" orthography

Someone familiar with these languages might address these possibilities:
  - material in Scots (or some dialect of Scots) in Hamely Tongue orthography
  - material in Scots (other than Ulster dialect) in the "new" orthography

Combining the language variety with the orthography unneccessarily complicates
handling of spoken material.

Randy