Montenegrin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 14 20:08:12 CEST 2010

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of CE Whitehead
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 10:29 AM

>According to,
http://www.montenegro.org/language.html
"Montenegrins speak and write Montenegrin. It is sociolinguistically, ethnically, and culturally a separate language. For example, the Montenegrin language has 33 letters while Serbian and Croatian each have 30. "

ISO 639 codes languages, however, not orthographies. Clearly we have other cases of a single language being spelled differently in different regions, and Region subtags being used to capture those distinctions; e.g. en-US vs. en-GB, though the character inventories in those two orthographies are the same. Assuming the veracity of that claim (which I haven't personally verified), do three extra letters imply that it would be overall better for implementations to tag "Montenegrin" with a distinct language ID rather than using "sr-ME"?

Peter