Missing subtags 003 and 172

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Jul 31 22:02:30 CEST 2010

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at lab126 dot com> wrote:

> I don't believe that those are necessarily the rules. An oversight can
> be corrected. The 003 (North America) code appears to me to be an
> oversight arising from the fact that it appears in an odd place in the
> M.49 code list (but is clearly indicated to be a "continent" there). I
> think that such a code, since it is not explicitly forbidden and fits
> the intended set for inclusion, can and should be registered via the
> normal request process.

Does the rest of the list feel that way?  I'm wary of subjecting Michael
and myself to process appeals and recall petitions.

I think it's unfortunate that the drafts I edited which ultimately
became RFC 4645 and 5645 went through literally years of combined
review, during which I implored WG members to read both the prose and
the attached registry contents, and nobody ever spotted this apparently
crucial "oversight."

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­