Language Variant subtags for Sanskrit

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Tue Jul 20 14:30:48 CEST 2010

Michael Everson scripsit:

> So we have English and Standard English?

That is an example, yes.  We do not have a tag for Standard English (that
is, the standard dialect of English), because no one has proposed one.
Standard English is much more diverse than most standard languages: it has
several orthographies ("tyre centre", "tire centre", "tire center"),
a wide range of regional lexis (_scheme_ 'plan', _fall_ 'autumn',
_davenport_ 'sofa', _dacoity_ 'banditry'), and no standard accent at all.

--
John Cowan              cowan at ccil.org          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Most people are much more ignorant about language than they are about