Re: Tuning the name of Bokmål/Nynorsk in the registry

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Jan 24 18:07:37 CET 2010

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> If I could have had my way, then I would have changed the names of
> Nynorsk and Bokmål in the registry:
>
> from 'Norwegian Bokmal'  to 'Norwegian (Bokmal)'
> from 'Norwegian Nynorsk' to 'Norwegian (Nynorsk)'
>
> Before eventually providing documentation for why it ought to be like
> that, is there a way to ask that the registry is updated like this?

These Description fields, like all others for language and extended
language subtags, were taken directly from the relevant ISO 639 list.

Description fields in the Registry are not normative; they are just
descriptions, not formal names, and BCP 47 explicitly permits them to be
changed via the registration process.  However,  there is a strong sense
among some members of this list that they need to stay as close to the
ISO names as possible, to ensure traceability to the external standard
and avoid a perceived change in denotation.  (Consider the normative
importance that some list members are placing on the word "Standard.")

You can propose this if you like, but you will probably encounter some
resistance.  And I repeat my claim that with 80+ substantive changes to
make in the Registry, on a clock which has already started, now might
not be the best time to divert list attention to something like this.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­