Changing definition of German (was: Re: ISO 639-3 releases list of 2009 changes)

Leif Halvard Silli xn--mlform-iua at xn--mlform-iua.no
Sun Jan 24 02:41:15 CET 2010

Doug Ewell, Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:58:31 -0700:
> Leif Halvard Silli <xn dash dash mlform dash iua at xn dash dash mlform
> dash iua dot no> wrote:
>
>> It looks as if macrolanguages status is most often awarded to a code
>> which cover two or more "language instances" that aren't divided by a
>> border. That is: When there is no region tag to make the distinction.
>
> I doubt this, since it is ISO 639-3/RA that confers macrolanguage
> status, and region subtags aren't part of ISO 639-3.

I did not mean to imply that there is a co-operation of any sort. I
just meant that if two languages goes under the same name, then they
are often found to exist within the same borders. Arabic, for instance:
In Egypt you find both standard Arabic and Egyptian Arabic.
--
leif halvard silli