Preferred Values for Irregular Tags

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jan 20 18:08:22 CET 2010

Mark Davis â?? scripsit:

> %%
> Type: grandfathered
> Tag: cel-gaulish
> Added: 2001-05-25
> ***Preferred-Value: xtg // most likely Gaulish being meant

Someone should probably ask ISO 639-3 for a macrolanguage code element
covering Cisalpine and Transalpine Gaulish.

> %%
> Type: grandfathered
> Tag: en-GB-oed
> Added: 2003-07-09
> ***Preferred-Value: en-oxedict // with proposed new variant

I understand rage for order, but I'm not sure this is worth changing.
It's a highly specialized tag with very little usage, and if we replace
it, the replacement will have even less.

> %%
> Type: grandfathered
> Tag: i-default
> Added: 1998-03-10
> ***Preferred-Value: und // I doubt that this group would approve this, but
> it is probably what we'll map to, so just FYI

"en" would be a more sensible mapping, given that RFC 2277 requires that
i-default text be understandable by anglophones.

> %%
> Type: grandfathered
> Tag: i-enochian
> Added: 2002-07-03
> ***Preferred-Value: xxx // Ask for new code from 639-3. This is a bizarre
> invented language, but there is precedent for invented languages.

Agreed.

> %%
> Type: grandfathered
> Tag: i-mingo
> Added: 1997-09-19
> ***Preferred-Value: see-mingo // Ask for new variant from this group

Agreed.

> %%
> Type: grandfathered
> Tag: zh-min
> Added: 1999-12-18
> Deprecated: 2009-07-29
> ***Preferred-Value: nan // since nan includes Min Chinese

Vice versa: nan is a subtype of Min Chinese.  This is a useless stub
and should just be left alone (see above on "rage for order").

--
John Cowan              cowan at ccil.org          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Historians aren't constantly confronted with people who carry on