Variant subtag proposal: H?gnorsk variety of Norwegian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Jan 6 15:23:50 CET 2010

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> I personally would be fine with a comment that 'hognorsk' is closer to
> [nn] than to bokmal. and with info. about what dialects are most
> prevalent in 'hognorsk', in [nn], versus in 'bokmal'--in the comments
> on the 'hognorsk' variant--if that does not violate any tradition
> (obviously hognorsk is closer to [nn] since we chose the [nn] prefix).

This would be warning people against doing something we don't have any
indication they want to do.  The question as I understood it (and
originally posed it) was not about intentionally using 'hognorsk' to
represent Bokmål, but about using it with 'no', which can refer to
either Bokmål or Nynorsk.

As I and others have said, we don't currently include comments telling
people what not to do, and I think trying to do this would be a mistake.
I also don't think we should try to provide encyclopedic information
about "what dialects are most prevalent" for any language.  There are
enough encyclopedias out there already.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­