Variant subtag proposal: Høgnorsk variety of Norwegian

Thorgeir Holm thorgeirholm at yahoo.no
Sat Jan 2 02:08:22 CET 2010

<hermer John Cowan frå 02.01.2010 01:27>

> and as speaking a different language from Danes or Swedes.
> (A Swedish net.friend of mine from central Sweden says he understands
> his neighbors across the border better than he does Swedes from other
> parts of his country; it's hardly surprising that many isoglosses should
> run east and west on the Norway-Sweden peninsula.)

This would be our friends in Jamtland, whose dialect is considered as
Norwegian even by Swedish linguists. What would be the recommended
prefix in this case? ;-)

>> It is vital that 'no-hognorsk' be valid, the practical circumstances in
>> Norwegian language tagging being as chaotic as they are.
>
> In no case will "no-hognorsk" be invalid.

That's what I wanted to hear.

Okay, Leif, I think we exhausted this: 'nn-hognorsk' *is* preferrable,
and other uses lie beyond the scope of the registry.

Thorgeir