ISO 639-3 changes, part 3

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Feb 12 05:16:56 CET 2010

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

>> (So Caló, for example, did not "have its code changed" as some might
>> believe; the new Caló has a narrower meaning than the old one.)
>
> Yes, but that is not clear from:
>
>> This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
>> 2010-01-20, splitting the code element 'rmr' for Caló into two new
>> code elements, 'emx' (Erromintxela) and 'rmq' (a new identifier for
>> Caló).
>
> "for Caló proper", "for Caló with out including the related language
> Erromintxela", or some such clarification should be given.
>
> (Similarly for other similar cases.)

Saying that I took the "new identifier" phrasing and emphasis (or lack)
directly from the 639-3 documentation is no defense.  Kent is right; the
remark in the registration form is confusing.  I'll fix these, probably
using Kent's second example.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­