suppress-script values for macrolanguage-encompassed languages

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Dec 23 22:49:29 CET 2010

Two things in particular bother me about this thread:

1.  The conflict between macrolanguages and Suppress-Script.  I don't
have an answer for this, but it seems wrong somehow that a given
macrolanguage such as 'ar', which is commonly identified with a variety
(Standard Arabic) that is overwhelmingly written in a single script,
should not have a Suppress-Script of 'Arab' because there are certain
minority varieties of that language like Cypriot Arabic that may not be
overwhelmingly written in that script.  'ar' was supposed to be one of
the classic use cases for Suppress-Script.

2.  The idea that we are now relying on individual research and
"feedback from native bloggers and such" to determine Suppress-Script
appropriateness.  I understood Suppress-Script to be for the obvious
cases, to discourage people from adding patently pointless script
subtags (as in "en-Latn" or "ru-Cyrl").

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­