Missing subtags 003 and 172

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 03:37:53 CEST 2010

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 17:06:42 CEST 2010

> On 07/31/2010 04:41 PM, CE Whitehead wrote:
>> O.k., in any case, is it possible that a "Commonwealth of Independent States" variety of Russian might develop?
> Looking from here and now, it'd rather not.
> About the only inter-state standartisation
> actually happening is in the terminology of the
> Russian-language verbatim equivalents of ISO
> (IEC etc.) standards, which are approved as
> inter-state (Rus. межгосударственный) standards.
> And of course, Russian Academy continues to
> maintain the codified literary norm (ru_RU, so
> to speak).
> Hope it helps.
Hi, and thanks for your info, Yuri. It does help. So it seems the Russian Academy will maintain the terminology standards for the Russian equivalents of ISO standards. So as far as you can see, no unique varieties will develop in the Commonwealth.
(All the same, it does seem to me that, at some point in the future, should Russian be adopted as a lengua franca for the Commonwealth of Independent States,
then a 'Commonwealth' variety might develop, at least for spoken Russian. But for now at least nothing . . . I take your word.)
Best,
C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com