Machine Translation

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 11 05:52:53 CEST 2009

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Doug Ewell

> I think our goal in deciding on a particular tagging mechanism should be
> which mechanism fits best, not which is easiest for us to implement, or
> guesses about one being more likely to be used by end users than the
> other.

But fits __what__ best?

We need to know what use scenarios this would be for. If it's all about hypothetical possibilities -- whether as a variant subtag or as an extension -- then I am not in favour.

> I thought Debbie's colleague(s) expressed the use case rather clearly.
> They want to be able to distinguish between Welsh written by a human
> and Welsh generated by a machine, and filter out the latter for one
> reason or another.

If that's the use scenario, then an extension is overkill: there's no need to distinguish between different kinds of sources if it's all going to get filtered out the same.

(This is not a vote in _support_ of anything; only a vote against an extension if the intended use scenarios are what has been described.)

Peter