Revised request: Japanese transliteration variants

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 3 18:57:38 CEST 2009

Hi.

Thanks to Frank Bennett for the URL (http://www.kanji.org/cjk/samples/jnamevar.htm); this is helpful!

As he has noted, on a quick review of the words transcribed at the above URL, there seems to be a lot of similarity between Revised Hepburn, traditional Hepburn (except that the n's and m's are transcribed differently, it seems), and the typical U.S. transliterations of Japanese words; however there are also some other variants that seem to use similar transliteration systems--I suppose that it would be nice to know exactly what the subtag 'hepburn' is meant to stand for thus--if that is possible.

In any case it is nice to have the ['hepburn'] subtag no longer stand for just the revised Hepburn transliteration.

(Sorry for my confusion earlier--I take it that the system used by roads is not revised Hepburn apparently??  in spite of the 'n's and 'm's)

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar at hotmail.com