Variant request: Japanese modified Hepburn

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Sep 1 06:06:22 CEST 2009

Phillips, Addison scripsit:

> This probably should have the prefix "ja-Latn". Are you using Hepburn
> in contrast to some other scheme? As the predominant romanization,
> it may not require its own subtag. The tag "ja-Latn" would presumably
> imply Hepburn.

There are at least two other major schemes, per Wikipedia (there are
others):

	nihon-shiki (ISO 3602 strict), which is a straight transliteration
	of kana

	kunrei-shiki (ISO 3602), which is a morphophonemic modification
	of the above adapted to modern pronunciation.

In any case, there's certainly no ban on registering just a single
variant subtag, anyway; the others can be registered later as needed.
I do think that the Prefix should be ja-Latn, though (remembering that
this is just a recommendation, not mandatory).

--
A witness cannot give evidence of his           John Cowan
age unless he can remember being born.          cowan at ccil.org
  --Judge Blagden                               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan