Flavors of Hepburn (was Status of Japanese requests)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Oct 6 06:25:33 CEST 2009

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at amazon dot com> wrote:

>> The Hepburn-related subtags have completed their two-week review
>> period, have been submitted to IANA, and have been added to the
>> Registry. See
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry .
>
> An announcement is called for by the RFC of a decision by the Subtag
> Reviewer. In fact, it is absolutely required. If subtags have been
> submitted, this list should know about it. There should be no mystery
> involved, because that disadvantages the appeals process, if nothing
> else.

If I understand correctly, Addison is saying that Michael has not
followed Section 3.5 of RFC 5646, by not explicitly and publicly
announcing one of the three actions listed in the bullet points on Page
45: approving the requests, rejecting them, or extending the review
periods.

It's not clear to me if Addison is challenging the approval of the two
subtags, or simply noting the non-adherence to Section 3.5.

As Michael's clerical assistant (what IESG calls "Co-Designated Expert"
and what John Cowan calls "Official Doug"), my role in this was to send
the records and registration forms to Michael on the day following the
end of the review period, whereupon Michael forwarded them to IANA.  I
did not remind Michael to formally announce to the list that he was
approving the registrations, nor did I encourage him to keep it quiet or
otherwise try to sneak anything past the list membership.

IMHO, either filing an appeal or not filing an appeal would be better
than talking about appeals while leaving it unclear whether one is going
to be filed.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­