Last call for ISO 15924-based updates

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Mar 14 02:43:21 CET 2009

Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld at dkuug dot dk> wrote:

> W should rather use the ISO standards here, and we do in IETF.
> In ISO 10646 the character "a with acute" can only be represented
> in one way. namely as U00E1. The other string you are citing is two
> characters in ISO 10646 (and not the "a with acute" character).

I guess we've settled the issue by now of whether combining characters
can be used in ISO 10646.  I did have a couple of additional comments.

One, there is a reason why I wrote "a diacriticized letter may be
represented as two encoded characters" and did not refer to "the
character 'a with acute.'"  Letters and characters are not always the
same thing; it may take more than one encoded character to represent a
single letter -- see Roozbeh's Lithuanian example, or re-read the point
I tried to make.

Two, the issue at hand is the ISO 15924 code element 'Zinh' and how it
corresponds to the concept of "script property."  As far as I can tell,
this is a Unicode concept only and has no equivalent in, or relevance
to, ISO 10646.

I recognize that many people in IETF prefer to replace all references to
"Unicode" with "ISO/IEC 10646," perhaps partly out of a feeling that an
industry consortium can't be a suitable SDO, but there are times when
referring to Unicode really is appropriate.

http://www.ewellic.org