Valencian Language Tag registration request

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Thu Jun 18 16:55:38 CEST 2009

Hello Victor,

I think this issue is already addressed. Although the subtag 'ca' has a 'Description' (name) of "Catalan", it also has one of "Valencian". Yes, the subtag itself is suggestive of Catalan, but this cannot be helped, as the various names the Valencian language goes by are dissimilar.

The issue of national or regional identity is a complex one. Since language is often closely associated with such identity, it is no surprise that any given group would like to establish some ownership over its own language and/or its variation from a neighboring group's language. In this case, Valencian and Catalan are considered to be the same language. Both names are recognized as appropriate.

Another way to put this would be: the Valencian language ('ca') has a variant subtag ('valencian') registered for distinguishing content specific to the regional dialect of Valencia from the broader collection of content that comes under the subtag 'ca'---which, as you point out, might include content from the Balearic Islands or Cataluña.

Regards,

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126