Valencian Language Tag registration request

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jun 18 09:47:29 CEST 2009

On 18 Jun 2009, at 08:07, Victor wrote:

> The main reason to request the language tag is the identity the
> user's have about the language.

That's not really the criterion we have for assigning language subtags.

> While the differences between the varieties spoken in Catalonia and
> Valencia are several, such us verb ending in past forms, pronunciation
> of 'u', 'x' 'tg' tj' and several others as well as differences in
> vocabulary, but the main argument could be that the name "Catalan" in
> the Valencian region may cause rejection to some users and big
> conflicts between regions and users.

We aren't language nannies.

> Some other languages, like those varieties of Catalan spoken on the
> Balearic Islands are having now this identity conflict of rejecting
> the name "Catalan". I should add that the differences between the
> varieties spoken in the Balearic Islands are deeper compared to those
> spoken in Cataluña and Valencia.

Some day someone will back up such statements with evidence.

> Another main reason to request the tag is law. Valencian is recogniced
> as the language spoken in the Valencian region at its own law, at the
> Spanish national law and of course, at the European law which all
> consider it to be a language by itself.

Hey! I've got a great idea! We'll propose a change to the Irish
constitution to define the name of the second official language to be
"Bearlish", and then we can get our own language subtag for it, since
"in law" it will be different from the English language spoken in
other countries!