Valencian Language Tag registration request

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Jun 18 02:40:02 CEST 2009

CE Whitehead wrote:

> Hi!  My main question at this point is whether or not we need a
> matching variant subtag for the variety of this language spoken in
> Catalona (so as not to have it appear that Valencian is a sub-dialect
> of Catalan, but instead to treat these as two equal dialects/variants,
> with none being the default dialect/variant).

I don't know where the idea comes from that "ca" by itself refers
specifically to the Catalan version and not the Valencian version, when
there are Description fields in the Registry for both names.  I
personally don't see a need for this, and I don't think Victor/Luís
expressed a need either.

You are welcome to propose it if you want, but it seems to me like an
attempt to avoid a hypothetical problem involving appeasement of
nationalistic sentiments.  While it's true that we don't choose names
and take actions to deliberately offend people, I think trying to avoid
every possible slight that someone might imagine is outside the purpose
of this list.

http://www.ewellic.org