Valencian Language Tag registration request

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jun 15 20:54:08 CEST 2009

Michael Everson scripsit:

> As an aside, by every linguistic criterion I know of, indeed,
> Valencian is an all-but-indistinguishable dialect of Catalan.

Three useful facts:

1) The Valencian Academy of Language (AVL), the state body for the Valencian
language and its orthography, says that Valencian and Catalan are the
same language.

2) The AVL specifies a Valencian orthography distinct from the general
orthography of Catalan, so "Valencian" is an orthographic distinction.

3) In August of 2007, ISO 639-3/RA rejected the request for a separate
code unit for Valencian, so "talk to ISO first" is unnecessary.

--
And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening
beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from
is Nyarlathotep. (Lovecraft)   John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org