Proposed modified records for 'cpe' and 'son'

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 23:43:18 CET 2009

Thanks John; that information is helpful.

So extended filtering is the only option for compatibility. I still need to research which search engines use extended filtering, however. Maybe Frank (Ellerman) will have something to say on this; can we just wait for his input? --Or else for some  feedback from people who know more about the search engines.   Thanks again. Best wishes, C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 16:06:04 -0500> From: cowan at ccil.org> > CE Whitehead scripsit:> > > (1), basic and extended filtering should normally be backwards> > compatible--that is a request for "cpe" should yield "cpe-Latn"> > as well;but what about a request for "cpe-PG" (will it return> > "cpe-Latn-PG"?)> > Basic filtering will not; extended filtering will. That is part of the> point of extended filtering.Thanks very much. So this is the only way these are backwards compatible.  I'd have to learn a bit more about the various applications and types of filtering used.> > > (2), lookup type filtering, on the other hand, when "cpe-PG" is> > requested, will return "cpe;" but will it return "cpe-Latn" or return> > "cpe-Latn-PG"?> > No. Oops.> > -- > John Cowan http://ccil.org/~cowan cowan at ccil.org> There are books that are at once excellent and boring. Those that at> once leap to the mind are Thoreau's Walden, Emerson's Essays, George> Eliot's Adam Bede, and Landor's Dialogues. --Somerset Maugham