A stake in the ground

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Dec 11 04:38:56 CET 2009

ISO639-3 at sil.org scripsit:

> How was the case of Estonian [et/est] (Standard Estonian [ekk] and Voro
> [vro]) handled earlier this year by this body?

We missed it, because it happened between November 2007, when we decided
what the list of specially-handled macrolanguages would be (though it was
much later that we decided whether to specially handle any!) and March
2009, when we requested that the Language Subtag Registry be bulk-updated.

> The change documentation in ISO 639-3 is located at
> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_detail.asp?id=2008-043

I looked through all the other promotions from individual language to
macrolanguage, and found only Kalenjin 'kln' and Luyia 'luy', neither
of which has been extensively used.

So, a second stake: add Standard Estonian 'ekk' and Voro 'vro' to the
extlang list.  "Need brooks no delay, yet late is better than never."

--
If you have ever wondered if you are in hell,         John Cowan
it has been said, then you are on a well-traveled     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
road of spiritual inquiry.  If you are absolutely     cowan at ccil.org
sure you are in hell, however, then you must be
on the Cross Bronx Expressway.          --Alan Feuer, NYTimes, 2002-09-20