A stake in the ground

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 10 20:22:57 CET 2009

Hi -

The discussion focussed on cases of group 2 because they provided the
compelling arguments for retaining the macrolanguage subtag.  Groups 3
and 4 didn't get any significant discussion as far as I recall.  The distinction
between group 2 and either group 3 or 4 is useful only if one heads down the
path of treating the macrolanguage code as a synonym for the dominant language
variety, a path repudiated by the WG, even though there are applications where
this kind of under-specification heuristic can be useful.  Consequently, I'd be very
reluctant to claim that the distinction between 2 and 3 or 4 should carry much weight.
The sense of the discussion was clearly that the deciding factor was the existing
widespread use of a code that was later given macrolanguage status.

Randy