LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4): pinyin

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Tue Sep 23 11:51:53 CEST 2008

> Mark seems to want a tag that means "not Taraskievič" -- but that is

That isn't a correct interpretation of what I'm asking for.

We should not be using year numbers in variant tags *unless* we mean
precisely what is defined by a standard associated with that year. Otherwise
the tag is too narrow, and does not describe the intended scope. The tag I
am registering does NOT exclude changes made in a 2008 revision by the
Belarusian academy, for example.

And that is the basic convention that we have been following up until now.

Languages are inherently broad: even variants typically encompassing a fair
variety. We can't get around that. "en" does not mean English of King James,
or English of the OED, or as defined by any particular work. Swiss German
doesn't mean Zuerituetsch, or Baerntuesch, nor is it associated with a
particular year. We don't have  sl-roza1483-solb1843, we have
sl-rozaj-solba. IF we want to refer to a particular standardize version,
published in a particular year, THEN we have the variant subtag for that:
sl-rozaj-solba-1994.

The sources cited by Yury are NOT restricted to 1959, and 1959 should not be
part of the subtag.

Take a variant that you yourself pushed for: en-GB-oed. Why didn't you ask
for oed1928, or oed1933, or oed1986, or oed2007 in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/en-GB-oed?

When you requested registration for fonipa, why was it not fipa1886, or
fipa1989, or fipa2005?

Why? Because you didn't want or need a limitation to a particular version in
a particular year.

For the same reasons, a year should not be part of this subtag. Doing
anything else deviates radically from past practice, and sets a horrible
precedent for the future.

Mark