French orthography on the Internet (Was: BCP47 Appeals process

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Sep 19 12:12:40 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:49:59AM +0200,
 Lang Gérard <gerard.lang at insee.fr> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

> we have a "new internet french orthograph" that is more and more
> used

That's not my observation (and I use the Internet in French for 17
years). At a time, most people "knew" that "you cannot use accents on
the Internet" but, now, we have quite the opposite. Ordinary users
assume they can use the normal French orthography, to the point that
people routinely publishes domain names with accents, even while ".fr"
does not allow IDN.