BCP47 Appeals process

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 18 00:26:16 CEST 2008

Having a tag with a very generic mnemonic value, "academy", but which is restricted to a very specific semantic will not be particularly convenient for global users. It would really help if the subtag somehow reflected more specifically the identity of the institution in question. Somehow, it shouldn't be hard to come up with a 5-8 alpha subtag more specifically indicative of "Institute of Linguistics of Academy of Sciences of Belarus" than is "academy". I still think something along the lines of "beacad" or "acadbe" or "acadscbe" (or any of several other possibilities) would be better.

I fully support Mark's objection to including "1959" in the subtag.

Peter