BCP47 Appeals process

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Wed Sep 17 11:49:33 CEST 2008

As you know, according to the stated process in the procedures, after 2
weeks of receiving any proposal, you need to formally accept or reject the
proposal or give a 2 week extension. I understand that you may be traveling,
and of course we need to make reasonable allowances for that, but the
requirements of the position that you took on require reasonably timely
For example, wadegile was initially proposed 7 weeks ago on July 30, then
modified twice in response to issues raised on the list. The last was on Aug
26. You needed to issue a formal acceptance, rejection, or 2 week extension
by Sept 9th.

   - You have a message of Aug 26 that seems to approve both wadegile and
   pinyin.
   - You have a message of Sep 9 that seems to reject wadegile.

So it is unclear what is going on. Could you please state exactly what the
formal status is of each of the three proposed registrations? For rejections
you should give examples of what would "change your vote to 'yes'" so that
we can have a clearer discussion.

For the future, for clarity I would recommend distinguishing those messages
on the list where you are speaking formally in your official capacity by
adopting some more formulaic language in your message, something like:

The proposed registration for wadegile presented on Aug 26 is REJECTED.

The reasons are that: ...

To change the status to ACCEPTED, you could submit a modified proposal with
the following changes: ...

Mark