Pending business

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at comhem.se
Mon Sep 15 17:08:47 CEST 2008

Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> Doug Ewell wrote:
> > I got a private response:
> >
> >> IIUC both Taraskievica and "Academy" are Cyrillic orthographies for
> >> Belarusian, not Latin orthographies, thus not romanisations.
> >
> > Actually these are Latin orthographies; the "standard" way of writing
> > Belarusian is in Cyrillic.
>
> How did the Latin ever come into this?? The Belarusian, both
> academy and taraskievitsa, is Cyrillic.

Which is/was why, I would assume, there is/was no request to
(incorrectly) include "Latn" in the Prefix for the registrations
for these variant subtags.

Nor is/was there a request to include "Cyrl" in the Prefix in
the registrations for these variant subtags, though they are for
Cyrillic orthographies, since the language subtag "be" already has
"Suppress-Script: Cyrl".

> And the valid *romanisations* are the BGN/PCGN, ISO 9, ALA
> and Scientific.

Neither of which have a variant subtag request for them at this time,
but if there were to be one, for either one of these, "be-Latn" (not
just "be") would be the appropriate Prefix to register.

	/kent k