LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 22:13:35 CEST 2008

Hi, regarding fonipa and fonupa, I do not recall (correct me if I am wrong) any prefix's being specified for either subtag.  Maybe that's why [Latn] is not part of the prefix??

To answer John's question, I prefer the tag [zh-Latn-pinyin], as I've said, so that browsers and search engines that do not recognize [pinyin] will have [Latn] to help them.

I'm sorry about the asymmetricity in the registry and I also support Frank's call for a suppress-script for variants-- that would take care of the [fonipa] [fonupa] problem; however I wonder, with the various fonipa symbols for the sound in 'theta' which is from Greek, whether a suppress-script for [fonipa] is a good idea??

So send these with the prefix [zh-Latn], that's my vote.

Thanks!

--C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar at hotmail.com

From: Michael Everson