LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Sep 7 18:25:11 CEST 2008

On 4 Sep 2008, at 18:56, John Cowan wrote:

> If you approve these subtags, the tags "zh-pinyin" and "zh-Latn-
> pinyin"
> (and so for "wadegile") will both be permitted, and both will have the
> same semantics, though the consequences may be different in the many
> systems that implement naive fallback.
>
> The issue is what this list (and so IANA) chooses to recommend.  Do we
> recommend that "zh-Latn-pinyin" be used rather than "zh-pinyin", or
> do we remain silent on the point?  (There is no way to recommend that
> "zh-pinyin" be used rather than "zh-Latn-pinyin", except for the
> general
> "tag wisely and briefly" recommendation.

I think we need to have people *be able* to do the following (as this
is what people have said they want to do):

zh-pinyin
zh-Latn-pinyin
zh-fonipa
zh-Latn-fonipa

Now for the latter, we have a registration:

%%
Type: variant
Subtag: fonipa
Added: 2006-12-11
%%
and, evidently, they can do both

zh-fonipa
zh-Latn-fonipa

already. So, what helps us move forward here?