LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R5r2): pinyin

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Oct 6 18:52:56 CEST 2008

Mark Davis scripsit:

> To be used to indicate transcriptions in a system of romanization approved
> by the Chinese government, and first applied to Mandarin Chinese on February
> 11, 1958-02-11 and adopted by the International
> Organization for Standardization as an
> international standard in 1982

Slight rewrite to avoid an unfortunate implicature:

        To be used to indicate transcriptions in a system of romanization
        approved by the Chinese government.  The first such transcription,
        for Mandarin Chinese, was adopted by the Chinese government in
        1958 and by the International Organization for Standardization
        in 1982.

> > Salient features of Pinyin romanization are the use of <j q x zh ch
> > sh> for [tɕ tɕʰ ɕ ʈʂ ʈʂʰ ʂ] respectively.
>
> If the term is going to be applied broadly, then "Salient
> features...respectively." needs to be removed. Otherwise, it would
> imply that any tag using it, like bo-Latn-pinyin, did use all of <j q
> x zh ch sh> in the transliteration and for exactly [tɕ tɕʰ ɕ ʈʂ
> ʈʂʰ ʂ]. That will not be always true.

I actually think that a more salient feature is the use of b d g for
unaspirated stops and p t k for aspirated ones, though one could argue
that Australian English orthography uses the same convention.

I agree that this sentence should be dropped.

> Remove "The romanization ... and others".

I agree.

--
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies!    John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan