"no" vs. "nb" and "nn"

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Mar 18 15:30:30 CET 2008

Vidar Larsen scripsit:

> Given the fact that the forms are mutually intelligible warrants the
> use of "no" as a collective code, even though both forms may not in
> fact be intelligible (on the same level) to foreigners. "no" serves
> the purpose of tagging Norwegian well, and I would hate to see it
> obsoleted. I would argue that in cases where the particular form is
> not important, "no" would be the best choice. Given my current
> perception of the different camps, I would assume that a writer of
> Nynorsk may take care in tagging the material "nn", while a Bokmål
> user simply would use "no".
>
> A Norwegian searching for documents in Norwegian would not be
> surprised, and would probably want, to see both forms in the results.

Thanks for this confirmation.

And to sum up everything, I grant you all access (though Michael won't
want it) to http://ccil.org/~cowan/essential.html#North_Germanic .
Warning: not for the humor-challenged.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Female celebrity stalker, on a hot morning in Cairo: