"no" vs. "nb" and "nn"

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Mar 17 23:40:53 CET 2008

Deborah Goldsmith scripsit:

> I can't find a definitive statement anywhere on the relationship
> between "no" on the one hand, and "nb" and "nn" on the other. Is "no"
> a fallback for "nb" and "nn", the way "en" is a fallback for "en-US"
> and "en-GB"? Is "no" simply obsolete? Is there some other
> relationship? What is considered the best common practice today?

"no" is a cover term for documents that may be either nb or nn.
In practice, it's usually interpreted as a synonym for "nb", simply
because most Norwegian documents (approx. 92%) are actually in nb.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing