LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Jul 31 21:51:28 CEST 2008

Phillips, Addison scripsit:

> Note: we can have both Prefixes. Variants are allowed to have multiples.
>
> I think requiring the use of the 'Latn' subtag goes against the spirit
> of one of the language tagging maxims, which is: only use a subtag if
> it adds information. In fact, I think that the 'Latn' subtag adds no
> information to 'pinyin' or, for that matter, 'fonipa'. We shouldn't
> try to use the registry to enforce the exact tag for every situation.

Fortunately, prefixes for variant tags are a SHOULD, not a MUST, so
there is no requirement/enforcement here.  On that understanding, and
for the sake of useful documentation, I'm currently okay with zh-Latn.

--
John Cowan   cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths