Principles of Operation

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 25 00:13:29 CET 2008

Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> *In that time* they spoke some dialect of Danish in those regions, yes.
> But it was not what is *now* referred to as skanska ("Scanian").

But is this language replacement, or just relabeling?  Obviously the
influence of Std. Da. ceased and was replaced by Std. Sw.

> The dialects are fading, much due to the influence of radio and television.
> And the fading is gradual. However, standard Swedish with a dialectal
> accent, isn't really counted as a dialect. Still dialects do, over time,
> move closer to the "standard" (radio and tv has lots of influence).
> And "standard" Swedish (originally a dialect from the Stockholm region),
> is moving too. Listening to radio programs from 50 or more years ago
> sounds strange today. Dialects aren't that common in media.

All this is the familiar pattern from everywhere there is a standard
language that has become commonly spoken.

> http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sk%C3%A5nska gives the name P1-skanska
> to standard Swedish with a Skane accent ;-) [P1 is a PBS radio channel].

There you go.

> > Don't be disingenuous.  Scanian lacks a 639-3 code element because
> > the representative from SIS (who would that be, hmmmm?) to ISO TC37
>
> Not me, if that's what you think. (I don't know who that was/were, but
> we appear to agree.)

I didn't think it was you, but I did think you'd know who it was.

John Cowan        http://ccil.org/~cowan   cowan at ccil.org
Lope de Vega: "It wonders me I can speak at all.  Some caitiff rogue did
rudely yerk me on the knob, wherefrom my wits still wander."
An Englishman: "Ay, a filchman to the nab betimes 'll leave a man
crank for a spell." --Harry Turtledove, Ruled Britannia