Addition request: alsatian

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Jan 10 15:19:46 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:02:59PM -0800,
 Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> *why* Alsatian content needs to be tagged separately from gsw.

Because it is a distinct dialect (see the references I gave), in the
same way that valencian is a dialect of catalan and so deserved a
Variant subtag.

A second issue is that Alsatian speakers do not think of themselves as
speaking "Alemannic" and that the idea of using gsw alone may be
difficult to "sell" to these people.

> Do you anticipate Web pages with distinct content for Alsatian than
> other gsw?

Yes, although I must say there are very rare now.