Addition request: alsatian

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Jan 3 22:30:07 CET 2008

> I'd like to know why gsw-fr (which would be usable without
> registering a variant) wouldn't do the job.

Tough question and I hesitated a lot on this one. There are two
reasons why I'm not inclined towards gsw-FR:

1) A general wariness against region codes, which are not in general
good discriminants for languages. Here, the political border does not
completely coincide with the linguistic border. See for instance the
map in http://als.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Alemannisch.png

2) A search problem: there is no easy way in the registry to find a
tag for alsatian. You cannot stick a Description to a tag, only to a
subtag (except for grandfathered tags). I do not think that "taggers"
will think of gsw-FR for alsatian.