acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Aug 30 18:02:40 CEST 2008

My opinion here should not be taken to carry much weight, but:

I think the subtag for "Academy" Belarusian ought to appear at least
somewhat parallel with 'tarask', which has also had variations over time
(like many orthographies) but where we didn't feel the need to
incorporate a year.

Adding the year 1959 might tend to imply that we are waiting for the
2008 version to be published so we can assign it a contrasting subtag,
even though there seems to be little support for tagging them
separately.

Putting years in subtags seems more reasonable when two or more are used
in contrast:

Type: variant
Subtag: 1901

Type: variant
Subtag: 1996

or even:

Type: variant
Subtag: 1606nict

Type: variant
Subtag: 1694acad

The '1994' subtag for "standardized Resian orthography" was something of
a compromise; it had no other name, but nobody seemed to want to attach
Dr. Steenwijk's name to it, or try to compress his 9 letters into 8, and
'standard' would be just about the worst possible choice.

I'd go back and research what ordinary Belarusian writers who are
familiar with both orthographies -- not just the strongly opinionated
ones on this list -- would call the "Academy" version, and go with a
version of that, obviously condensed to 8 or fewer letters.

However, this is not a strong preference, and others seem to have very
strong preferences, and I don't know Belarusian.  So this should be
taken as just a shout from the peanut gallery.

http://www.ewellic.org