Subtags and politics (was: Re: acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Aug 28 15:14:40 CEST 2008

Apparently there is still some major misunderstanding and misinformation
being spread about the RFC 4646 and the ietf-languages group, and the
supposed political effects of what we do.

We -- actually, the Language Subtag Reviewer, with the non-binding
advice of the rest of us -- register variant subtags to help users of
RFC 4646 (BCP 47) language tags identify content in different language
varieties.  These variant subtags are intended to improve the
identification of different language varieties, so that they can be
selected in a Web browser, so that the correct spelling dictionary or
translation engine can be selected, etc.  Variant subtags are almost
always optional; they can be omitted whenever no problematic ambiguity
would result from their omission.

We are not a political organization, nor an official sanctioning body
for language usage.  We do not register variants with the intent of
granting some sort of legitimacy or blessing to any language variety,
nor to take away legitimacy from any other variety, whether that second
variety has its own subtag or not.  We register variants on the basis of
linguistic differentiation alone.

We are aware that some individuals or groups may seek a specialized
language tagging solution, such as a variant subtag, to make a political
statement, and also that other individuals or groups may support or
oppose that subtag, to make their own political statement.  It is never
100% possible to establish whether a proposal is made for non-linguistic
reasons, and so we don't try to make that determination.  Rather, we
evaluate each proposal solely on the basis of language tagging needs.

In the case of Belarusian, we know that some political and/or activist
baggage is associated with the different orthographies, and specifically
that supporters and opponents of the "academic" subtag (whatever we call
it) may be influenced by politics or activism.  Our goal is to ignore
this, and focus only on whether the actual difference in orthography is
sufficient so that variant subtags would make an improvement in Web
searching, dictionary selection, and so on.

If the linguistic or orthographic differences were trivial, and
consisted only of specialized vocabulary that made a political statement
(many languages have such vocabulary), then no subtag would be
justified.  Throughout the Belarusian debates, neither side has
attempted to prove that the differences between orthographies are
trivial.  It is clear that noticeable differences exist, and the case
has been made for separate variant subtags to distinguish them.  One
side continuing to disparage the other's orthography, or political
motivations, does not change this.

Organizations and standards that are not bound to use BCP 47, but choose
to do so anyway, such as the Wikimedia Foundation, are of course free to
apply parts of BCP 47 as they see fit, in accordance with their views,
which may also be political.  However, just to beat this point into the
ground, we do not register subtags on the basis of political motivation.

http://www.ewellic.org