acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 13:22:39 CEST 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Given that this will be the label for the official orthography of the
> Belarus language, given that there are strong objections to the proposed
> label. Given that this list is not a group of "folks" that do things
> without consideration of the consequences, it matters a lot what the end
> result will be.

Well, it's no secret that the last year "be-tarask" request was aimed
for some sort of "official" recognition of the entity.
This here request is filed by one of the same people and is, as I see
it, aimed for some sort of "demotion" of academical, official norm ("you
will not enjoy the pure be code, too"; cf. the last year discussion
posts ca. May 2 or so).

Now, the idea of the new subtag is overwhelmingly supported here.
While I just do not understand the urging need (looking from Belarus),
I'm fine with it, as long as it isn't something indescriptive,
incomprehensible, silly or abusive.

> It has been reported that the private code for the official orthography
> is NSAB. However I cannot load this website and the only combination
> that I find with Belarus and NSAB when googling is the National Scout
> Association of Belarus. . (http://nsab.gov.by <http://nsab.gov.by/> is
> the reported URL)

Reported by who? There were never any "codes", private or any other.
In academic/etc/etc it's just the "literary norm" -- and everything else.

NASB could be the Academy's domain name (previously AC).

> Again, given the controversial nature of the Belarusian orthographies, I
> urge caution.

You and me, too.

Regards.