LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin (was...)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Aug 28 02:47:41 CEST 2008

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> The new forms are fine with me!  Whether [zh-pinyin] eventually gets
> grandfathered . . . they are fine for now.

"Grandfathered" is a term reserved for whole tags registered under RFC
1766 and 3066 which do not fit the syntax of RFC 4646, or which have a
special meaning beyond what the individual subtags imply (i.e. the
sign-language tags).  No subtags we register today could ever be
"grandfathered."

If you mean "deprecated," no Prefix fields are ever deprecated, and none
can be removed such that the effect would be to narrow the scope of the
Prefix for that subtag.  The only changes we could make would be to (a)
add more Prefix fields in addition to "zh", or (b) remove "zh" and add
nothing, so that 'pinyin' would be open-ended like 'fonipa'.

http://www.ewellic.org