acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:59:03 CEST 2008

Michael Everson wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2008, at 10:18, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
>
>>> Interchangeably? What do you do about spell-checking?
>> Some variation is usually just accepted -- differences are not major.
>> Some of the pre-reform rules, while formally incorrect, were sort of
>> "blessed", too, recently (listed as an alternatives in academic "Short
>> grammar...", V.1, 2007).
>
> But what do you do about automated spell-checking?

About nothing. There are 3rd party module for MS Word and some sort of
aspell dictionary, usable in linux -- both not worth much, I hear.

>>> In principle 1959acad, 1985acad, and 2008acad could be quite useful in
>>> such a context.
>>>
>>> "Academy" by itself is too vague, and could apply to any country.
>> But "be-academy" couldn't, right? (Yes, it's the "Institute of
>> Linguistics of Academy of Sciences of Belarus" which the controlling
>> body.)
>
> Yes, I was trying to ask "How do you say that in Belarusian?"

It's "Інстытут мовазнаўства (Нацыянальнай) Акадэміі навук Беларусі".
Right now it's reorganised as an Institute of language and literarure
("Інстытут мовы і літаратуры..."), actually. Their don't seem to have
any official site worth to talk of. Have a look starting at www.ac.by
(Academy's site).

-Yury