LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Aug 2 09:58:50 CEST 2008

Gerard Meijssen scripsit:

> In this thread it is stated that keeping the redundant information of
> Latn makes sense. The information that pinyin and Legge is exclusive
> to Mandarin is not redundant.  In my opinion, this should be made
> clear. Consequently I think if it must be then zh-cmn-Latn-pinyin or
> zh-cmn-Latn-legge is a better choice. And yes, in my opinion the Latn
> is indeed redundant .. but if you must have it ....

At present, we are not allowed by RFC 4646 to add variant subtags to
zh-cmn.  That will change when RFC 4646bis finally goes into effect,
and then we can add zh-cmn and cmn (which will both be valid, unless
there is another random shift in the cosmos) to the prefixes.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on