stq vs. frs

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Apr 29 06:04:02 CEST 2008

Frank Ellermann scripsit:

> That doesn't fit for (frs) alternate names
> | Ostfriesisch, Saterlandic Frisian, Seeltersk Frisian

I agree.  The latter two are bogus.

What we have here, I think, is that FRS was used in the 14th Edition
indiscriminately for Saterfrisian and Ostfriesisch Low German, and the
details haven't been completely sorted out yet.

> Looking into a document it should be easy to distinguish it, e.g.,
> I won't grok "stq", but get the drift of any written "nds".

Take a look at the stq Wikipedia, then.  It looks Frisian-ish to me.

> It would be strange to deviate from the Frisian fr? scheme for
> "s" in frs, the set fri, frr, frs, fry belongs together.

I agree, but we are dealing with historical accident here.

> The "East Frisian" nds dialect is a dialect.

Or not.  It doesn't have "an armey un a flot", that's for sure.

--
My confusion is rapidly waxing          John Cowan
For XML Schema's too taxing:            cowan at ccil.org
    I'd use DTDs                        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
    If they had local trees --
I think I best switch to RELAX NG.