LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION REQUEST - zxx

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 26 18:26:04 CEST 2008

Doug, thanks for your reply; I believe I said,
"to have a clarification at www.langtag.net--will do fine."  Which is what you suggested originally.

--C. E. Whitehead

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org

> Addison's comment, about not tagging ASCII-encoded data as if it were
> Latin-script linguistic content, reflects a general principle of
> language tagging -- use only those subtags that are needed to indicate
> the nature of the content.
Agreed, use only those subtags that are needed to indicate the nature of the content; but someone might think that the script used to write some programmatic language (such as JavaScript, C++, etc)--mathematical symbols + Latin--should indicated--that is, is part of the nature of the content.
To the extent that there are programmatic languages written using characters outside the Latin range, then it's even more worthwhile to tag the encoding--although I grant that this can be done with a declaration of encoding.
> This principle does not need to be captured
> in comments in the Registry.

I agree; I'd like to see this discussed briefly at langtag.net  --
I don't think this rule is quite so obvious as you see it.

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com