LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION REQUEST - zxx

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Apr 21 08:15:16 CEST 2008

I agree that we should be careful to speak of registering "subtags" and
not "tags," both in registration forms and in general discussion.  The
only thing we do with tags is reclassify them from grandfathered to
redundant.

I have no idea what Suppress-Script has to do with the subtag 'zxx',
which means "No linguistic content" or "[Language] Not applicable."
This subtag could refer to non-linguistic content in a writing system,
such as a Snellen eye chart or "lorem ipsum" gobbledygook.  Such content
could just as easily exist in Cyrillic, Arabic, or some other script as
in Latin.  Then there is all the 'zxx' content that is in no writing
system at all, such as the Mona Lisa or Beethoven's Eroica Symphony.  In
neither case would it make any sense to assume a particular script,
which is what Suppress-Script is all about.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org