Konkani Suppress-Script

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 20:21:21 CEST 2007

Peter wrote:

> The statement on that page is pretty vague. Could mean that a
> single village newspaper somewhere started using Latin script
> but ten years on its died out. If that were the case, that
> wouldn't constitute a case to remove suppress-script in my mind.

If that were the case I would have to agree.  However...

http://www.country-studies.com/india/linguistic-relations.html

This, seemingly, authoritative reference states:

"The fact that the Latin script is predominantly used for Konkani separates
it further from Marathi, which uses the Devanagari (see Glossary) script.
However, Konkani is also sometimes written in Devanagari and Kannada
scripts.

Best

Debbie Garside