IPA's double life (RE: New scripts)

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Tue Nov 27 16:37:02 CET 2007

Answers to some of your questions below.

On Nov 27, 2007 5:34 AM, Don Osborn <dzo at bisharat.net> wrote:

> So, several questions re ISO 15924:
> 1) Is IPA Extensions range covered as a general rule in Latn? This wasn't
> evident from http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/iso15924-codes.html and other
> pages I scanned on unicode.org. In looking at some back correspondence on
> ietf-languages it seems that it is.

Yes.
Looking at
http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=[:Block=IPA_Extensions:],
you see 96 characters.

If you subtract out all non-Latin characters, you get the same 96
characters.

http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=[[:Block=IPA_Extensions:]-[:
^Script=Latn:]]

> 2) Is there any precedent for specific characters or ranges in Unicode to
> be
> covered by more than one ISO 15924 code? I believe I recall there are a
> few
> cases, but that they are exceptions.

In Unicode, the association between script and character forms a complete
partition. Each character has exactly one script. Any characters that are
used in multiple scripts have the script value = common or inherited

http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=[:Script=Common:]
http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=[:Script=Inherited:]